Minutes from the July 18, 2017 Monthly Board Meeting
Board members present: Aubrey Carter, BJ Friedman, Mary Reed, and Gregory Tran
No votes were taken at this meeting because we did not have a quorum.
1. The minutes from June 20, 2017 meeting could not be approved. They will appear on next month’s agenda.
2. Financial Report: We had a loss and several tenants are behind. Expenses included an expense for accounting fees of several thousand due to our annual audit. Had 2 vacancies last month and 2 where tenants didn’t pay rent. There was a loss of $763 for June due to $2,094 in accounting costs to pay for audit and form 990 filing. The checking balance is $1,987, savings balance $124,654.
The Finance Committee meeting did not take place because several members are out of town.
3. Property Management Report: Two tenants are behind with rent. We did a make-ready at 1729B W 11th. They moved in July 12th. The tenants came from the Salvation Army, and a local company donated a washer and dryer for the unit, and they delivered and installed them as well.
4. Community conversation series: The 1st conversation is scheduled for July 26th Wednesday at St Luke. Mary and Aubrey will be going early to help prepare. Mary reported that we have secured speakers for Community Conversation #1. They are: Laura Morrison, former city council member; Mary Sanger, one of the founders of Community not Commodity; and Karen McGraw, architect and Planning Commission member. We are promoting with yard signs in the neighborhood and area. OWANA got 25 signs and we will put them up. We passed out flyers door to door in Clarksville to promote the event. We also put up a new page on our website to promote the conversations. Mary posted on Nextdoor and OWANA list serve and our email list.
The 2nd event, “Preserving Neighborhood Character, Adding Diversity, Managing Density” will be in late August or early September. John Henneberger, housing expert and MacArthur fellow has already agreed to be a speaker at Community Conversation #2. Mary will contact Mayor Pro Tem Tovo's office to find out if she will speak about the city's initiatives in the area of increasing neighborhood diversity and affordability at the event. Mary also indicated that Community Conversation #3 would focus on using an LHD as a neighborhood preservation tool.
5. Prospective date for the next Ice Cream Social will be August 27th. BJ Friedman suggested adding a cookie contest.
6. RuthAnn Brown could not attend the meeting so discussion of the Clarksville Block Party was postponed.
7. Under Other Business, we agreed to invite OWANA to hold their Steering Committee meetings at the Haskell House.
8. The Board did not meet in Executive Session.